Get some pork on your fork

This is an old rumour, but a deliciously naughty one worth repeating in the light of the swine flu fanaticism: word has it on the streets that the government has been selling pork meat for the stunningly low price of LE5 (just over a US dollar) a kilo.

Of course, the pork comes from the pigs who have been slaughtered in the fever of swine flu. A further rumour, which I’m SURE is not true, is that unscrupulous butchers are mixing the meat with that of beef and lamb to flesh out their supplies.

I don’t rate this one because surely no butcher would be so bad as to mix what’s considered unclean meat to Muslims, who comprise around 80 percent of the Egyptian population. But rumours, like the flu, have no boundaries.

But then, as a Christian friend said to me recently, "Muslims say they don't eat pork, but once they've eaten my pork, they love it."

Hotly contentious, I'll leave it at that. I have no beef with pork, either way...

Comments

  1. Well I dont know about having a beef (lol) but mine was a very nice lamb curry tonight! As far as swine fever..I think that has been replaced (at least in the presses minds) by Michael Jackson fever!
    Since his untimely death on Thursday 25th, there have been more specials and tributes than one could imagine.
    Even the usually staid coverage of Wimbledon has been interrupted by conversations with Tennis stars who remember with fondness Michael's talent!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment