Kartell does Cairo

Last night, I went to the opening of the new Kartell store (www.kartell.it) Yes, Kartell, the Italian home of Phillipe Starck - he of the occasional tables made from plastic garden gnomes and transparent furniture - amongst others of the designer world's elite. I confess I was super surprised by the annoucement - sure I know there's enough cash in Cairo to buy Kartell, I just wasn't sure it was so firmly within the Egyptian taste point. But hey, I'm wrong.

It was a bit of a blast back to Milan, with the red carpet up to the door, though a few differences - the glamorous building is still being finished so they were running on generator power (though you'd never know) and the cocktails were mocktails, as far as I could see. Beautiful Egypt was out in force, with lots of leggy young girls in fashions you'd never see on the metro, and plenty of interested young blokes serendipitously placed outside for a rare glimpse of nude legs.

Comments