Things I miss about Egypt

Hi all, in case you didn't realise, I'm back in Australia, just in time for Australia Day (a celebration of barbecues, lamb chops and lite beer). Here's what I miss about Egypt. I will balance it with a second entry, so don't worry about bias:

1. My souk (market). Perfect red tomatoes for 20c/kilo while the Australian equivalent comes in at $5/kilo.

2. Learning a new word a day. However, on the upside, I can understand everything everyone says here in Australia. But understanding it all has its downsides - do I WANT to know about Sharon's speeding fine? Or Brian's argument with a builder? Occasionally, ignorance is bliss.


3. Modesty. I have gone from seeing women in abayyas (long robes) to septuagenarians in hot pants. It's a tough move.


4. Umm Aya. My cleaning lady who walks through my apartment like a queen on tour, before scrubbing it to gleamworthy. See, here she is in the blue scarf.

5. Speeding. Having spent a day stuck behind brand new 4WDs who insist on doing 40km/hour in a 70km zone, I miss Egypt's cavalier attitude toward speed limits. A 50km/hour zone in Cairo? Where? Let me a take a picture.

6. Cairo's architecture. It ranges from 4000 year old pyramids to the fabulous 1900s Moorish fantasies of Roxy (snapped above).

7. My new friends. Last, but not least. I miss you all.

Comments