Because you asked...

Well it’s been three weeks since I hit home after almost a year in Egypt. There’s a definite pattern in the questions I’ve been asked since I've been back, so let me run you through the answers (I probably should have done this weeks ago, which would have saved me sounding like a parrot).

Did you wear a headscarf? No. I’m Christian and I’m foreign. People don’t expect me to cover my hair. However, I did cover my knees and usually upper arms. Having said all that, in the chic nightclubs and private beaches, anything goes, from belly button rings to crop tops and miniskirts.

Were you scared living in Egypt as a lone woman? No. Cairo is an incredibly safe city. Like any place, there are some areas you don’t want to go (and not just women, but men, too!) – such as super-poor districts – but to get there, you’d really have to work hard: either take a cab or coax someone into to driving you. Hordes of drunks cruising the streets causing havoc are unheard of in Cairo. In fact, I attribute a large part of Cairo’s safety to the lack of alcohol in the country. Which brings me to the next question…

Could you drink alcohol? See Answer 1. Christian and foreign means alcohol is fine. However, wandering around drunk is very poor form. Some waiters were uncomfortable with serving women alcohol, but I am not quite sure why they were working in such establishments if they felt this way. Compared to average consumption in Australia, it was all severely curtailed. The local wine, friends, was generally dreadful, but alcopops, spirits and beer are in easy reach…24-hour delivery, if you really need it.

And what about pork? I think when you travel to places with different diets to your own, you either (a) obsess about the food you can’t eat – think Australians’ obsession with the thick, black, salty paste called Vegemite that we slather on our toast – or (b) you just forget about it. There was some pork floating around Cairo – most notably at the Italian Club and in an Italian-style café in Zamalek, but after Egypt knocked off all its pigs, ostensibly to prevent swine flu, neither love nor money would get you a slab of bacon. However, there were rumours going around the expat network recently there was a guy in Alexandria…

Work or holiday? Well, since my rich great-aunt died, I have spent my life on cruise ships and safari, without needing to work. That was sarcasm. Yes of course I worked, but Egypt being a far less expensive country to live in compared with Australia (no car registration, insurance, overpriced taxis and cheap, fresh food) meant I didn’t have to chain myself to a desk five days a week, and could instead travel to surrounding countries which I’m still publishing the stories for.

Did you learn any Arabic? Yes. Well, it was either learn Arabic or spend a year doing Marcel Marceau mime impersonations. While plenty of Egyptians told me I didn’t need to learn any Arabic, they are obviously delusional as to how much English is actually spoken in Egypt. And I think it’s pretty shoddy if you can’t at least say thanks. Also, if you can’t count, you’re just leaving yourself open to being fleeced (a nice way of saying ‘ripped off’).

So… were you fleeced? Of course. But then Egyptians are an indiscriminate bunch, and will try the same tricks on their fellow Egyptians. It’s just that as a foreigner, I’m obviously insanely wealthy and therefore fair game. The more Arabic I spoke, the less it happened.

Any essential travel things you would never go to Egypt without? An enormous cotton scarf. I bought an awesome one in Cairo and, as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, it has worked as a headscarf when entering mosques, to wrap up in freezing planes and um…. as an emergency towel. And Lonely Planet’s fantastic Egyptian phrasebook. I carried it every day. It is still recuperating from its year-long workout.

And finally, do you miss Egypt? Cairo's a dirty, crazy city of 20 million people. The pollution is ridiculous, the noise intense, and you can stick out your finger and poke the energy. I miss it every day.

Comments

  1. We miss you too Belley :)
    Well, if you don't mind I have a comment. First of all, thank you (Shokran شكراً ), what you have written about Egypt is real and fair enough and also is full with a very lovely and funny spirit.
    But you were concentrating on Cairo although Cairo is not the whole Egypt. Yes, Cairo has the highest population (and pollution!) among the Egyptian cities but it is not Egypt. You have already known that (even better than me as you know everything :)) there are wonderful places in Egypt you have been to them. And also about the people, they are very kind, warm, simple and have the spirit of jock ( like the Australians if they are like you :)).Well, I'm not saying they are the best or nobody like them but I have been to some European and Arabian countries and I have notice that. The Egyptians are very friendly and like to laugh in spite of all living problems they have and I think you have already notice that. They have very strong faith but they are not fanatics, of course I mean in general. You know, I have surprised of such questions you have heard in your home about Egypt and the Egyptians although the Egyptians have defeated the Australians in football many times :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aladin, you sly creature, sticking that football reference in at the end. For sure, we are well aware of our shortcomings re: football! And everyone's happy to remind us. They are funny questions, but so many people have never visited Egypt, though the travel agencies here are saying that it's one of the most popular destinations in 2010. So perhaps you will meet more Australians and you can decide whether we're the same:) Or you can just visit Australia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Belle... sound looks like that you will not come to Egypt soon or we haven't at least decided yet to come :(. Well, I think, as you said , I should visit Australia then.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment