Saturday night in Daylesford


On Saturday night, I was in Kazuki, the newest restaurant in delicious Daylesford, about 90 minutes north of Melbourne. Daylesford is, of course, hip to the eyeballs. Only a population of 7000 people, yet it has art galleries, cafes, restaurants and beautiful villas wriggling out of every pore.

Kazuki is a Japanese restaurant on up and coming Howe St, and while I was snacking on tiny plates of smoked eel ravioli and Japanese mushroom and celery soup, I looked across at the next table, to see a couple enjoying a romantic evening: the wine, the food, the view of the darkened street. The only odd note  was that they were both about 20. Was I so composed that at 20, I was taking dates out to swanky restaurants full of ingredients I couldn’t pronounce? I can quite safely admit that no, I was far too busy skulking around looking for low-budget entertainment in band pubs, existing on a diet of unflavoured boiled rice, to even contemplate such refinement.

“These kids of Daylesford,” I thought, “they’re in a class of their own.”

Mind you, several hours later into the evening, a band of the buggers ripped the two wing mirrors off my daggy old, hardworking car. They’re not so bloody different, after all.

Comments

  1. How do you know the mirror vandals were 20-somethings, Bellicose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you know the mirror vandals were 20-somethings, Bellicose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cops told me... they went on a rampage through the town. The locals were shocked. They said that the theft of a lawnmower made front-page news.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment