Macaron madness: a food photography taster

The Mr Darcy of macarons: black sesame
and blackberry fill. Photo: Belinda Jackson.
'Light, in abundance,' was the motto today, thanks to top editorial photographer Ewen Bell. 

I'm not quite sure, then, how I ended up with this study in grey (left), the result of a day's food photography taster with Ewen, fellow photographer Ian Rolfe and food stylist and photographer Iron Chef Shellie, aka Michèle Froidevaux.

I call it: Vermeer Macaron, because it's got that whole grey Dutch thing going on (and there were tulips originally in the shot, but I went minimalist to the point of monochromatic).

In case you're interested, this photo was shot with my modest Canon 600D with a super-fabulous Sigma 35mm f/1.4 whacked on and a Bowens studio flash set-up. Lavish.

I learned that most people shoot up too close, losing the story (guilty), that shooting with the light behind you will make your photos groan with dreariness and that tilt-shift lenses are just crazy animals. 

Sweetness & light. Photo: Belinda Jackson.
Other tips included shooting food portrait, not landscape, and to make a mess with food photography - it's more real (but I wonder if that means you're allowed to stick your fingers in the icing).

This fantastic, one-day food photography taster was held at the offices of gear gurus CR Kennedy in Port Melbourne (who have taught me the definition of 'want', since putting that 35mm lens in my hands).

Check out this talented team's travel photography tours through the links below.

ironchefshellie.com 
www.photographyfortravellers.com


PS: the black sesame and blackberry macarons, Shellie's creation, tasted as good as they look.

Comments