Buffets, I've had a few...

Small fry: mashed duck potatoes at the Sheraton Bali Kuta

Buffets, I've had a few...

I know I shouldn't start a blog post on a negative note, but... a pet hate of mine is people who will never try eating something new.

Especially when they're on the road. Truly, I have morphed into my mum when I hear myself saying, "But how do you know you won't like it if you've never tasted it."

Why, just today I found a list of what was sprawled across my breakfast table one bright, Balinese morning, in my recent past: admittedly I was sharing the table with a three-year-old (hence the donut, the Babybel cheese and the Vegemite).

Here's a list of the table's contents - it's breakfast, remember:

Kankung (water spinach) with slices of roast duck and mushroom
I photographed it, but it may come as a surprise to learn
that I didn't eat it. Strawberry cheesecake for breakfast? Really.
Vegemite and toast
A quail's egg, boiled
One Babybel cheese
Pink yoghurt
Mango yoghurt
Eggs Benedict
A fruit plate
Cocoa Pops
A glass of tamarillo juice
A pot of Earl Grey tea
Churros (heavily sugared)
A flat white coffee
A chocolate donut.

What's not to love? The hotel buffet: it's a beautiful, dangerous beast. Where's your favourite?

Comments