Death becomes her: happy Balinese villages

A happy gong player in a cremation
ceremony, Tabanan.
We were pottering through the loveliest little village in west Bali when suddenly the street was blocked by a procession of about 100 people.

The procession was led by women in beautiful costumes bearing offerings, men playing gong (gamelan), a stick bearer and lots of folk walking behind them.

It was a pretty procession, and I wound down the window of my car and took plenty of pretty photographs. Everyone smiled and waved, happy to be snapped.

The procession finally finished and we started on our way again, and I asked Nata, my guide, what the occasion was.

"It was a cremation ceremony," he explained.

But they all seemed so happy!

Comments

  1. I like your blog,and also like the article,and thank you for provide me so much information :)) crematory in ga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment Mike. Who knew a Georgian cremator would be reading this blog? Cheers, Belle

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment